8 step Technique
using visualisation and imagery to increase sports performance, more effective presentations for business
refine skill or technique
with Jimmy Petruzzi
1. Imagine being the expert in their field that you identified that has the behaviour, skills or abilities that you want for yourself.
2. Close your eyes and visualize that person in action. Watch it like a movie in your mind.
See how they look, how they how use their body, how they use their posture; how they stand, walk, and sit. Pay close attention. Hear how they talk, what they say, and how they say it.
3. See yourself as the model or yourself conducting this choice of behaviour skill or capability you have stepped into the role model’s place. You are watching yourself do as the model does. You have taken over the role and are acting exactly like your role model. Or imagine performing skill or capability
4. Do you feel any negativity come up within you when you watch yourself? Any doubts that you are capable of doing as the skill or capability as the model does? Go through the actions of the skill, and adjust your action in the movie, until you are happy with how you perform the skill and capabilities feel positive and confident in your abilities.
5. Mentally step inside the picture. You are now inside your movie image, looking through your own eyes. You are no longer watching yourself. You are doing the skill and capability just the model does it. How does it feel to perform this skill or capability or be this person with these new skills and capabilities? How does your body feel? How is your posture? What do you hear? How does your voice sound to you?
6. Imagine a future situation where you want to implement these skills and capabilities. Put yourself there. Look through your own eyes at this situation. You are the star of this movie and behaving in the new way! Is it all working? Do you need to make any adjustments?
7. Open your eyes and come to the present moment.
8. Imagine that you are now the new you with these new capabilities. Get up and walk around as the new model. Walk the walk and talk the talk as they say. How does it feel?